You will learn
In this Excel course you will become familiar with the basic programming principles in the Visual Basic for Applications programming language - including the scope for managing the work sheet process by applying your own program routines.
After the course you will be able to:
- Work with variables, constants and data types – how to handle values in you code
- Using IF-structures and loops, ex when code should be executed and how many times
- Access rows in a large range and process values in a desired column
- Code up against sheets and workbooks, ex control of sheet- or file names
- Code up against cells: Selection of cells, assign/retrieve values, copy/move cells
- Build user forms with selections for the code to respond to
- Create your own functions - to be able to reuse smart code
In the section, ”Course Details” below, you will find more details about the content of this course in Excel
One of the first things we look at, is the use of Variables, Constants, how they are declared, and how to use them. Both are containers in which you can store a value and which is the basis for subsequent programming. We look at how we test the value of these variables or eg. cells and what needs to be done based on the test.
We look at several types of loops, typically a number of rows to be accessed. Fx. do we want to to run through 10,000 rows, but only want to look at columns 6 and 8 that contain Sales and Profit. And maybe we should use the two values in a calculation and place them in a third column.
In the chapter on the "Most Essential Objects" you learn how to program up against Project folders, Sheets and not least Cells. In Excel, almost everything is done in cells, so you have countless options to "attack" cells via VBA - they are called Methods and Properties.
You will learn to make Userforms, containing Controls like List boxes, Options buttons, Check boxes or Text boxes and then users can make selections using these. Afterwords you can code make code which uses these selections.
The most important thing is that the course lasts 3 days! In order for you to be become independent after the course, it is optimal that you get a lot of time to do exercises and thereby obtain some routine in programming.